Saturday, February 11, 2006

POV from Denmark

I really think things are getting bad here in Denmark now. First, the PM personally dissociate from the cartoons and said that he never would print those cartoons. There was no need for that. Now the responsible for the cartoons, Culture Editor Flemming Rose, has been forced on vaccation by Editor-in-Chief, Carsten Juste. That's something you saw in the USSR. I can't imagine that the fear is taking over now. Horrible. The case with the Danish Imams are going real slow too. Their image is destroyed completely, for a very long time, but still it politicans seams to hesistate to do something about them.

Sidenote: I've recently been hit by the cyberterror, that is happening against Denmark these weeks. One of my .dk sites was cracked and used to redirect to an ugly, pathetic, turkish site that condemns Denmark. Wasn't a big deal through, easy to recover and update as it was a very simple crack used. But my site had nothing to do with politics. This is just plain terror and discrimination.

Here's my opinion at certain countries outside Denmark:

USA: Seams to be doing the right thing, just to shut up, instead of risking to much trouble. I was very pleased with the few journalists that dared to quit their job in name of freedom of speech.

France: Chirac is...Chirac. But I've been very pleased about some of the French newspapers. They even bringed some great caricatures on their own.

UK: Same as USA, they have a lot to risk if they are too offensive. But their Foreign Minister has been acted very stupid.

Norway: Wimps. They gave up their freedom of speech right away.

Sweden: Same as Norway. Shut down a blog containing the original cartoons. But they also have very big problems with muslims extremists, though they won't admit it.

I've to admit that my focus mainly has been on Denmark and the Middle-East, through. Things are not going as they should here in Denmark. Terror and threats seams to work well. I guess it's first when terror hits in Denmark things really begins to happen.

4 comments:

Jason Pappas said...

I've been dissatisfied with the response of the US (and UK) press. It's much harder to boycott the USA & UK. Thus, solidarity wouldn't only be a gesture but possibly a way to break the boycott ... if we exceeded the Danes in publishing the truth about Islam. Also, remember that we have a much smaller Muslim community as percent of population.

I hope the Danes can hold in there. I've seen at least one American TV host say "buy Danish." I hope people do that. I have.

Krishna109 said...

The US has a huge population-- if a lot of us buy Danish products, that may be enough to break the boycott (us, plus other supporters of free speech throughout the world).

The fact that so much of the world's media (& governments) have allowed themselves to be intimidated underscores the power of the blogosphere-- we can get the truth out there.

There's not much else we can do-- except, perhaps keep writing "letters to the editor" and elected officials. Keep posting the facts on our blogs.

And, probably one of the most important things to do now is to really make a concerted effort to buy Danish products-- replace products you normally buy with Danish ones (for example, if you're a beer drinker, switch from your regular brand to Tuborg or Carlsberg).

In adition to switching to Danish brands, try some new things-- for example, I just discovered Rosenborg brand Blue Cheese chunks in oil...versatile, very tasty, (and the oil is Canola, so its pretty healthy). Good on bread, in salad, etc.

Always On Watch said...

DS,
That's something you saw in the USSR.

The perfect comparison!

I wonder if, some years from now, we can look back on revisionist versions of the cartoon furor and see what George Orwell deals with in 1984, when he wrote of Newspeak?

John Sobieski: The reason Muslims are so angry is they cannot dare allow the idea that Islam is a lie, a web of deception with its whitewashed history...

I agree. And more than that, the imams don't want to lose their power. Exposure of Islam as a totalitarian ideology will bring them down. If the msm won't expose the truth, then it's up to us bloggers to do so.

Here's the good news....The msm are trying their best to ignore the truth behind the cartoon jihad, but people, everyday people I run into every day, are asking questions now, even more so than after 9/11. The longer these cartoon demonstrators carry on their craziness, the more the enemy reveals the truth about the I'm-superior-to-everyone-and-everything-else philosophy at the core of Islam.

I'll take Krishna's advice and start buying Danish.

Anonymous said...

I feel ashamed, that I miss hearing a very loud word of solidarity with Denmark from politicians in Germany, because Germany could be the key country to equalize the boykott with it's millions of rather well situated buyers. I have given at least a recommendation to eat more Danish cheese. And by the way, our kids like Lego and the Danish wooden furniture is nice, too. Many other people here in Germany think similar. I hope it helps.

And hopefully you also notice this: www.sorrynorwaydenmark.com.