Friday, March 17, 2006

The Future Prospects of the Muslim World: In 1888

In 1888, Harvard Professor Toy gave a lecture on what he perceived the Future of the Muslim world to be. Before I set forth the article, which, I think, is a cause of great despair and sadness if you are Muslim and should immediately prompt a lot of self-reflection, I would like to point out that this Professor Toy was no simple dogmatist. His very interesting biography reveals that he broke away from the seminary where he was studying and became a Unitarian, and also founded the Semitic Studies Program at Harvard — so clearly he was open minded and thoughtful. Note: that in his time the Ottoman Empire still existed. So Islam and Turkey are conflated in his lecture. I think it would be really unfair to cry “Orientalist” and ignore the basic thrust of his speech, which is that: Muslims have to get their own house in order. He also makes clear that Muslims have a leadership crisis. Here it be, Professor Toy on Wednesday 28, 1888:

Read his lecture on my blog.

Sad. I hope I'm not the only Muslim reading this. Please forward this.

1 comment:

Kiddo said...

Thanks for this one Eteraz, I'm glad that you're here to keep us posted on this kind of stuff. I'll read it as soon as I can.