Friday, September 01, 2006

A Playwright Steps onto Reality’s Stage

I said I would translate the story of Yehoshua Sobol, from the July 27, 2006 issue of Yediot Achronot, upon finding no translation on YNetNews, the English-language version of Yediot Achronot online. The item is titled “Disillusionment”, and is an interview of Israeli playwright Yehoshua Sobol by Yoav Birenberg. It is a riveting read.

Picture: Scan of July 27, 2006 Yediot Achronot interview of Yehoshua Sobol

[...]

(Sobol) “This war is necessary. If we’d kept turning a blind eye toward what was happening in Lebanon, when an Iranian base was being set up in front of our eyes, we’d find ourselves in the future under the threat of the destruction of great concentrations of population by unconventional weaponry.

[...]

(Sobol) “In the last two weeks I’ve been undergoing a very deep rethinking of my opinions. I find that they were, many times, based on charitable wishes, on the wishes of my heart. I expected that, following the evacuation, as soon as we got out of Gaza, the day afterward the Palestinians in Gaza would announce a tremendous building initiative, but they started bombardment on the Israeli inhabited areas with Kassams. In my eyes that’s a declaration that they have no intention whatsoever of building a state but, in fact, of continuing the business of self-destruction and our destruction”.

In full on Our Children Are The Guarantors »

No comments: