Saturday, September 16, 2006

Why there are no Muslims in space

The 9-11 week is always difficult for me--it is equal parts heartbreaking and enraging. The excellent docu-drama "The Flight that Fought Back" was showing here in Malaysia this week, although the words "ALLAHU AKBAR" were silenced out by the Malaysian government censors every time the terrorists yelled or screamed it out. Watching such reenactments (as well as seeing Malaysia's censorship of the Islamic inclinations of the 9-11 bad guys) makes me very angry.

So for a welcome change of pace, I bring to you the following (I believe fictional) anecdote (hat tip Planck's Constant):

The Iranian Ambassador to the UN had just finished giving a speech, and walked
out into the lobby where he met President Bush.

They shook hands, and as they walked the Iranian said, "You know, I have just one question about what I have seen in America."

President Bush said, "Well, anything I can do to help you, I will."

The Iranian whispered "My son watches this show 'Star Trek' and in it there is Chekhov who is Russian, Scotty who is Scottish, and Sulu who is Japanese, but no Muslims. My son is very upset and doesn't understand why there aren't any Muslims on Star Trek."

President Bush laughed, leaned toward the Iranian ambassador, and whispered back, "It's because it takes place in the future."


On a related, more serious note about Muslims in space...

Check out the latest offering from the Pious Infidels at Pedestrian Infidel.

1 comment:

Epaminondas said...

Actually there HAS BEEN ONE MUSLIM .. a saudi prince who, it turns out, called home to tell the grand mufti of Saudi Arabia, Bin Baz, that in fact the world was not flat...