Saturday, June 16, 2007

No Honor

View from the Right:

This is one real-life horror story that you can be sure Hollywood will never make into a movie.

An excerpt from the article:

Bekhal, 22, ran away aged 16 rather than agree to an arranged marriage to a cousin in Iraq.

She survived an attempted killing by her brother, but her sister Banaz, 20, paid the ultimate price for leaving her own arranged marriage and then falling in love with an "unsuitable man" of her own choice.

On the orders of her 52-year-old father and uncle, Ari Mahmod, 50, she was strangled with a bootlace by Kurdish assassins, her body stuffed in a suitcase and buried six feet down in the garden of a house belonging to an associate in Birmingham.

Later:

According to Bekhal, integration was the very last thing on her father's mind, although she says he seemed happy to accept Britain's hospitality in the form of a council house and benefits.

Of course.

Another excerpt:

"We used to have to wear a headscarf and trousers to school, which was so hot," Bekhal recalls. "I didn't want to wear mini-skirts or makeup like some of the girls, but I longed to take my headscarf off.

"One day I was walking home through the park and I'd taken my scarf off and my father saw me. He screamed at me: 'Who do you think you are? You are acting like a bitch.'

"He pulled me inside the house, spat in my face and then picked up his slippers to beat me around the head as he shouted: 'Don't you ever disobey me.' In the two years before I ran away, I think he beat me more than 20 times.

This is the mainstream reality of women in the Islamic world. The West can now witness the wretchedness up close.

Read it all.

No comments: