Friday, December 03, 2010

Obama Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood: Yes, We Are Looking Into Technology to Disable Cell Phones in Vehicles

From Weasel Zippers:

It's time for us to stop accepting the government's line, "driving is a privilege, not a right."

If you think about it, what that means, is only the government has the right to drive. And, if you drive, they have the right to stop you from driving, at any second, by disabling your vehicle remotely.

(The Hill)- The Transportation Department is looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles, according to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
“There’s a lot of technology out there that can disable phones and we’re looking at that,” LaHood said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”
“A number of those people came to our distracted driving meeting here in Washington and that’s one way,” he said.
LaHood seemed to suggest that this technology has a good chance of making its way into cars.
“I think it will be done,” he said.


LaHood the Hood's Greatest Hits on the Liberties of the American People:

Obama’s Transportation Secretary Says “Americans are Sick and Tired of Motorized Transportation”

Ray LaHood Attacks Toyota, Mutters, "We're Not Finished With Toyota"

Who does Ray LaHood think he is?

3 comments:

Damien said...

Pastorius,

I don't agree with this, but I can see where they're coming from. It usually isn't a good idea for someone to spend a lot of time on their cell phone while they're driving. It is actually pretty dangerous. However, I have a few questions for Mr. Lahood, what about those rare instances when calling someone on your cell phone in a car actually saves someone's life? My mom and I noticed an accident on the free way once while we were driving somewhere, we decided to call 911 in case the driver didn't have a cell phone.

How exactly do you intend on making this thing work?

What about the passengers, will they be able to use their cell phones? I would hate to not be able to tell my friends and family when I'm running late.

Damien said...

Oh and lets not forget, Don't you have better things to do?

revereridesagain said...

I recently joined the 21st century and got a cell phone, primarily so I could use it IN THE CAR. I do not CHAT with friends and family while driving with one hand. If I need to call someone, I pull over. However, if I have forgotten an appointment and get a reminder call and am on the highway then I am not going to be able to "pull over" in order to use the phone FOR THE VERY REASON I BOUGHT IT. In addition, 911 calls reporting dangerous conditions on the road usually have to be made from a moving vehicle.

That's the "practical" reasons. The rest comes down to how distracted driving should properly be handled, especially with regard to reasonable assumption of incompetence to be operating a vehicle at a given time. NOTHING GIVES THIS LITTLE FASCIST LAHOOD THE RIGHT TO JUST SHUT PEOPLE'S LEGALLY PURCHASED CELL PHONES OFF.

This comes under the same heading as the schemes to shut down the internet, subject passengers on all means of public transportation in invasive privacy-violating searches, and other government wide-range control plots. What do the politicians hope to get out of it?