Saturday, July 16, 2011

Just Fishin' ?

When my 2 oldest daughters (and I) were younger I sometimes took them fishin' with me. They couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 or 6 or 7. Pictures of them in fishin' hats and denim jackets, pole and tackle box in hand, looking like "what are we letting him get us into this time?"

We'd sit on the banks of the mighty Manatawny Creek drowning worms and minnows, hoping to land a nice rainbow or brown trout, but usually coming up with a bunch of sunnies and crappies.

That didn't matter because we told their mom fish stories about the one that got away anyhow.

One of my fondest, vividest memories from then was the day we were sitting there, having just checked once again to be sure their worms were still wiggling on the hook. I had just poured a hot cup of coffee, turned back to the creek and heard a "plop" in my cup.

I looked up in the tree and muttered "Oh you dirty bird."

I thought they'd fall into the creek laughing.

So when daughter #1 sent me this song for Father's Day it meant more than she knew.

Now she and her husband are regularly catching salmon and flounder and halibut so big they would consider the largest fish I ever caught bait.

Trace Adkins
Just Fishin'








(about 100 yards from my favorite fishin' hole)

1 comment:

christian soldier said...

Lake St Clair-Lake Huron-
Dad-can I work the motor-
Dad-I think I got one---

Dad was 'close to the vest' - after 4 years in the Pacific-WWII--
He always treated his daughters and sons equally--fishing - baseball-shooting--et al
Thanks for this---
C-CS