Thursday, September 11, 2014

United Flight 93 Shanksville, Pa. 10:03 a.m.



Reports are coming in on the internet and radio and now TV set up in dispatch. Several planes in the air still. One headed toward Camp David. One hit Camp David. One headed toward the White House or Capitol. The Capitol is on fire. Etc.

My boss tells me the decision is for now to leave the phone lines open for all calls but if things get too crazy then we need to be ready to switch to gas leaks and other emergency calls only.

It didn't matter. By now the phones had gone eerily silent. America was too busy watching events unfold and talking to or trying to contact their loved ones.

Another call from my mom. No one could contact my cousin's fiance. She was supposed to be staying at the hotel between the towers for a conference there.

My aunt was trying to reach my uncle. He had a business appointment in D.C.

No comments: