Saturday, June 27, 2015

Protected Minority Rights

Pop quiz America:
If the majority of Americans believe something, and that something is law, but your conscience, and or your religion forbids that behavior, is your objection a protected minority right?

What is it you think I might be talking about?

Gay Marriage?

Remember her? Yeah she faced a majority approved law.

Now, personally, I don’t CARE, and I mean I DON’T FRICKIN’ CARE, about color, and I don’t care who you marry. I DON’T CARE. I’m not for it or against it, I just DON’T CARE. Not my business.

But you know, there are a minority of folks out there, who for religious reasons believe to their souls that gay marriage is a religious abomination.

Now, I am not FIT to tell them what to think or believe. It’s also NOT MY PLACE to do so, any more than I would accept someone telling me about what God is or is not.

But now, as we have seen the just objection to the Confederate flag as a symbol of slavery morph into the Gettysburg battlefield getting rid of Confederate flags, and the NY Post call for the end of showing of Gone with the Wind, we have seen equal protection under the law taken from disgusting PERSECUTION of gay folks to a moment of compulsion of those who believe being gay is a great, great sin to take part in gay marriage by baking a cake for the celebration.

And now comes the Supreme Court yesterday. I am not sure that MARRIAGE belongs in SCOTUS. I HATE the idea that love, marriage and all that flows from it must even be CONSIDERED any part of equal protection under the law.

But surely there will be those who DO believe they are now being compelled by the state to take part in sin by being part of this process and do not have the resources to quit, or resist. Is it the state’s place to compel this?

How much majority dictation of private belief and behavior is right?

If you are a justice of the peace and you believe gay marriage a sin, should you be compelled to perform the ceremony of marriage and commit sin in your own mind and heart?

Is that who we are? While I do NOT support PREVENTION of gay marriage AT ALL, I cannot support the state compelling this behavior on individuals.

Today, JUST AS THE PURITANS FOUND, it is these people who are being put upon by the state.
Now my own preference is that the state grant only a civil contract TO ALL AMERICANS at the state level who wish to get married, and that each community decide church by church, synagogue by synagogue, temple by temple and mosque by mosque, what it is they wish to call marriage.

Every community, and every congregation is DIFFERENT. Full disclosure - as member of our board, I voted to SUPPORT gay marriage in our congregation.

The minority of people who wish to be Rosa Parks for their own civil disobedience in favor of their own belief and conscience, should be respected and a protected minority. There MUST be a SIMPLE, easily executed legal religious exemption.

LEGALLY.

And they should not have to jump through thousands of dollars of legal expenses to do so as a disincentive, and as the American way of repression of conscience.

For those whose response is this is now settled law, consider this:
Roger Taney
Dredd Scott
Plessy v Ferguson
It ALWAYS goes on.

9 comments:

Pastorius said...

Epa,
I find myself in a similar position to you.

I also simply do not care if gay people want to get married.

However, unlike you, I feel I have been duped and I am very angry about it.

I have been fed up with the Gay rights movement for over a year now. The reason is because right after they began to the landslide that inevitably led to this Supreme Court decision (this decision did not surprise me in the least - it was the definition of anti-climactic) they moved on to Transgender rights.

Again I don't care about Transgender rights really. Transgender weirdoes have the right to live however they want to live.

HOWEVER that is not what the gay rights movement wanted.

What they wanted was for freak who have dicks to shower with my girls in school.

At that point, I got off the bus.

I wonder about the sanity of anyone who did not get off the bus at that point.

I'm done with the gays until they en masse renounce the gay rights movement.

My renunciation of gays has nothing to do with how I feel about them individually as human beings. It has to do with their whining and complaining on a political level. Or in the case of the past few days with their celebration and jubilation and triumphalism.

I do not celebrate with them and I condemn their triumphalism.

They have not truly won anything, because their movement has become oppressive in the ways you discuss in this post and in the way their movement immediately fed boys with dicks pissing and showering in front of my girls in school.

If you don't know what it is I am referring to, then google the words Transgender California law shower schools.

Google it.

Tell me what you think.

And as for me, fuck the gay rights movement.

Fuck the whole thing in the ass.

They can collectively suck my my big fat heteronormative cock.

Always On Watch said...

the Gettysburg battlefield getting rid of Confederate flags

WHAT???

Always On Watch said...

Now my own preference is that the state grant only a civil contract TO ALL AMERICANS at the state level who wish to get married, and that each community decide church by church, synagogue by synagogue, temple by temple and mosque by mosque, what it is they wish to call marriage.

That is not what's going to happen.

Mark my words.

Pastorius said...

Well, maybe, but it has been the law of the land for almost two years here in California and I have written about it more than once.

Pastorius said...

If anyone wonders why I have become so callous about the gay movement, it's because of THAT.

Thing is, most Americans, unfortunately even including many in our movement, simply do not concern themselves with things that do not effect them directly.

I have girls under 18. They are living under the reality of this law.

It is fucking Sodom and Gomorrah.

Redneck Texan said...

Have you met Rosa Park's granddaughter?

http://toprightnews.com/black-girl-who-brutally-assaulted-white-girl-and-baby/

I know this local video didn't get quite the national media coverage that the McKinney swimming pool incident did ...... but I think it fairly well epitomizes the overall situation on the new American street.

If your not willing to fight back, you're going to get your ass whipped.

Always On Watch said...

RT,
A friend not in Texas told me about that assault. I've heard no details other than what you posted a link to.

Epaminondas said...

"What they wanted was for freak who have dicks to shower with my girls in school."

We have a local jr high which had a trans boy. They could NOT afford a third bathroom(s) which met codes for buildings which requires a bathroom per every X # of kids.

So the ensuing lawsuits over 5 years went back and forth until the trans parents won, and now GIRLS WON'T GO INTO THE BATHROOMS unless the trans is somewhere else.

Is there anyone in here who HAD THESE CONCERNS IN JR HIGH?

Epaminondas said...

AoW ... yeah that would be how I would do it, but that's NEVER going to be the law.

THe only hope now is that people whose concsience is mortally offended use civil disobedience to raise the coinsciousness of the majority of americans.

HOWEVER... you don't go to jail for 30 days anymore, now America RUINS YOUR LIFE WITH FINES AND COURT COSTS.

REPRESSION - AMERICAN STYLE. You can't see the torture scars even though a CPA can measure the damage to your life