Saturday, October 28, 2017

Paul Bowles: "Tourist" In The Muslim World

In this video, writer Paul Bowles (The Sheltering Sky, Let It Come Down) discusses his impressions of the Muslim world, after having lived as "a tourist, a stranger" in a Muslim land for 59 years:
"I have lived here (in Morocco) for 59 years, and I am still a tourist. People think of me as al tourist. And I think I have to be considered that, although I am officially a resident. But unless is, or becomes a Muslim, here, one is always an outsider.  So, I am always referred to as a Nassrani (Christian), even though I am not officially a Christian.  
It's very difficult to become an intimate friend of an individual here. One can appreciate the people en masse, as a group. (But) A Foreigner, I would say, a tourist, doesn't know how to approach Moroccans, because their way of thinking is completely different. They place importance on different things.  
The whole point is to accept, and to continue to accept, no matter what happens.
I suppose, one needs to count on the eventual dissolution of our European civilization, which will be taken over by we don't know whom. But whoever takes over, we must be prepared for this, and understand a little about how the mind works. 
I assumer that it will have something to do with the continent of Africa. And since Tangier is the front door of Africa, and of course, the other side is the backdoor of Europe, that things will happen and one will be conscious of that here.  
So one is well-placed here to watch whatever it going to happen. 

No comments: